Our Rich History
We have had a long and storied history since 1948.
We have over 400 players and about 120 coaches including managers, trainers and equipment personnel involved in our program.
Our organization is run entirely by volunteers, most of whom have children and young adults in our football program.
We have sponsored football in southern Manitoba for 69 years with many of our past alumni returning to the club as coaches or in other roles to help the club continue to grow.
Our program has produced many outstanding players in that time, but more importantly, many outstanding citizens.
Art and Wally McOuat
Recognizing a void in the community of St. Vital, one man had a vision and the St. Vital Mustangs Football Club was born. That man was Art McOuat. With no money to field a team, Art personally financed the league adminstration fees and accepted hand me down equipment from the St Vital Bulldogs and other sources. The jerseys consisted of white sweatshirts with numbers sewn on. In 1952, the Mustangs entered the Winnipeg Juvenile League with Art as Head Coach. By 1954, there was enough money raised the hard work of Art and Barry Smith to purchase real jerseys.
On the field, Art guided the team to the Championship Final alas to lose the team's only game that season. In 1955, Art would see the Mustangs to their first ever Championship, defeating the Norquay Rams 11-9 in a two game total points series. By 1956, Art turned the mantle over to his brother Wally who ran the team until 1960. Wally continued to solidify the team and its reputation of always being competitive.
St. Vital Mustangs are established by brothers Art and Wally McOuat.
St. Vital Mustangs became charter members of the 1952 Manitoba Juvenile Football League.
Won the MJFL Championship 38-6 over the Winnipeg Hawkeyes in a two game total point final (22-6 and 16-0). In the Inter-Conference Final the Mustangs lost to the Hamilton Hurricanes 23-8.
Won the MJFL Championship defeating the Fort Gary Lions 18-4 in the second game of a two game total point series. St.Vital won the series 30-13. The Mustangs went on to lose to the Edmonton Wildcats in the Western Semi-Final 33-17.
Under the guidance of Head Coach Jim Ladd, the Mustang Midget team begins a string of 9 consecutive years participating in the Provincial Final.
The City of Winnipeg’s Protection, Parks and Culture Committee vote unanimously to have the Mustangs re-locate from Memorial Park. It would not be until 1994 that the move actually occurred.
For the 3rd year in a row the Mustangs captured the MJFL title going 7-1-0 before beating the Hawkeyes in the final 45-18. In the Inter-Conference Eastern Final the Mustangs finally succeeded in beating the Windsor AKO Fratmen 52-14 before losing to the Regina Rams in the Armadale Cup 31-23.
The Mustangs re-locate to their present home at Maple Grove Park.
The Mustangs celebrate 50 years of football in the community of St. Vital.
The club grows to a record number of over 400 players and fields an unprecedented 16 teams.
The Government of Canada, Province of Manitoba, City of Winnipeg and the St. Vital Mustangs invest over 420,000 into field and lighting improvements at the Mustangs Football Club complex. The Midget team defeats the Eastman Raiders to win the first game to be played under the lights at Maple Grove Park.
The Manitoba Girls Football Association played the first game in the inaugural season featuring the Charleswood Broncos and the St. Vital Mustangs.
The St. Vital Mustangs celebrate 69 years of football in the St. Vital