- Teams have 9 players per side (offense and defense).
- The Atom level plays on a modified field - 40 yards wide by 110 yards long. The field is more narrow than a full sized 65 x 110 field since there are only 9 players per side.
- Games length is four 12 minute quarters (regular stop time).
- This level follows the fair play rules that are set by the MMFA. Fair play rules ensures that every player on offense or defense plays for a minimum of 50% of the offensive and defensive plays.
- This is the first year of football where scores and standings are kept.
- Mustang players are provided with a helmet, shoulder pads, game jersey, football pants, etc. as part of the registration fees.
- Other equipment items are required and are not included in the registration costs. These items are relatively minor and will be discussed prior/during equipment fitting sessions.
- As a general practice, practices begin in late July or early August.
- Atom teams typically practice 2-3 times per week and play games on Saturdays or Sundays. Practices are generally 2 hours or less.
- Teams are designated as "Saturday" teams or "Sunday" teams before the start of the season. The number of practices and duration are at the discretion of each individual coach.
- Teams play 8 regular season games starting around the middle of August.
- Playoffs begin in October. The Provincial Championship is traditionally played in late October/early November at the Bomber Stadium (Investors Group Field) as part of Championship Weekend.